Magnets are incredibly useful and fun, but they aren’t without their hazards. All our magnets are tested and each product is clearly labelled with its pull-strength here on our website, plus, a warning brochure is included with strong magnets. Please read the below advice before handling magnets and remember, safety first!
Need Professional Magnet Factory For Your Business? >> Contact Us
Choking Hazard – Magnets are not toys. Please keep magnets away from children. Do not ingest or inhale magnets. Attraction of magnets in the body my cause serious injury and require immediate medical care.
Damage to Electronics – Strong magnetic fields of neodymium magnets can damage certain magnetic media such as credit cards, magnetic I.D. cards, cassette tapes and video tapes. They can also cause damage to TV’s, computer monitors and other CRT displays. If you have a pace maker or know that there is a possibility that someone with a pace maker will come in contact with the magnet, please give us a call before purchasing to discuss your application. For small electronics like cell phones, iPods, calculators, Solid state drives, and other devices that don’t contain magnetic storage there shouldn’t be any problems, but just to be on the safe side try to avoid close contact with neodymium magnets. Polymagnets have special magnetic fields that can be less damaging to sensitive electronics.
Magnets are Brittle – Do not let these magnets snap together with their full force or they will break and quite possibly send small pieces of magnet flying in all directions. Do not attempt to machine or drill the magnets. See our article on aftermarket machining for more details on machining magnets. For standard N40 Grade magnets do not heat above 176F (80C) as this will cause them to lose their magnetic properties. If higher operating temperatures are required, please contact us with your specific requirements. It is advisable to wear protective gloves and goggles when handling these magnets. Broken magnets have sharp edges. Magnet powder and particles from broken magnets should not be inhaled. See our more information about NdFeB magnets.
Pinching Hazard – Neodymium magnets can pinch very hard, and some of our larger magnets will easily break bones. For you own safety do not allow fingers or any part of your body to come in between the magnets, Handle with Extreme Care. Thick gloves and goggles are advised when handling larger magnets.
Safety Information for Neodymium Magnets
Your safety is important to us.Therefore, please read the following safety information carefully before you start using our Neodymium Magnets.Also share this information with employees, customers and other people who come into contact with neodymium magnets.
Children could swallow small magnets.
If several magnets are swallowed, they could get stuck in the intestine and cause perilous complications. Magnets are not toys! Make sure that children don’t play with magnets.
Magnets are made of metal and conduct electricity.
Children might try to put magnets into a power outlet and thereby suffer from an electric shock. Magnets are not toys! Make sure that children don’t play with magnets.
Big magnets have a very strong attractive force.
Unsafe handling could cause jamming of fingers or skin in between magnets. This may lead to contusions and bruises.
Powerful, very large magnets could cause bone fractures.
Wear heavy protective gloves when handling larger magnets.
Magnets could affect the functioning of pacemakers and implanted heart defibrillators.
A pacemaker could switch into test mode and cause illness.
A heart defibrillator may stop working.
If you wear these devices keep sufficient distance to magnets.
Warn others who wear these devices from getting too close to magnets.
Too heavy loads, symptoms of fatigue as well as material defect could cause a magnet or magnetic hook to loosen from the surface that is was attached to.
Falling objects could lead to serious injuries.
The indicated adhesive force applies only to ideal conditions. Allow for a high safety cushion.
Don’t use magnets in places where people could sustain injuries in case of material failure.
Neodymium magnets are brittle. Colliding magnets could crack.
Sharp splinters could be catapulted away for several meters and injure your eyes.
Avoid the collision of magnets.
Wear safety glasses when handling larger magnets.
Make sure that nearby people are also protected or keep their distance.
Magnets produce a far-reaching, strong magnetic field. They could damage TVs and laptops, computer hard drives, credit and ATM cards, data storage media, mechanical watches, hearing aids and speakers.
Keep magnets away from devices and objects that could be damaged by strong magnetic fields.
Please refer to our table of recommended distances.
When machining magnets, the drilling dust could easily ignite.
Stay away from machining magnets or use appropriate tools and sufficient cooling water.
Many of our magnets contain nickel, also those without nickel coating.
Some people have an allergic reaction when they come into contact with nickel.
Nickel allergies could develop from perpetual contact with nickel-plated objects.
Avoid perpetual skin contact with magnets.
Avoid contact with magnets if you already have a nickel allergy.
Magnetic fields of improperly packaged magnets could influence airplane navigation devices.
In the worst case it could lead to an accident.
Airfreight magnets only in packaging with sufficient magnetic shielding.
Please refer to the respective regulations.
Magnetic fields of improperly packaged magnets could cause disturbances in sorting machines and damage fragile goods in other packages.
Please refer to our shipping tips.
Use a large box and place the magnet in the middle surrounded by lots of padding material.
Arrange magnets in a package in a way that the magnetic fields neutralise each other.
If necessary, use sheet iron to shield the magnetic field.
There are stricter rules for airfreight: Refer to the warning notice “Airfreight”.
Influence on people
According to the current level of knowledge, magnetic fields of permanent magnets do not have a measurable positive or negative influence on people. It is unlikely that permanent magnets constitute a health risk, but it cannot be ruled out entirely.
For your own safety, avoid constant contact with magnets.
Store large magnets at least one metre away from your body.
Splintering of coating
Most of our neodymium magnets have a thin nickel-copper-nickel coating to protect them from erosion. This coating could splinter or crack due to collision or large pressure. This makes them vulnerable to environmental influences like moisture and they could oxidise.
Separate big magnets, especially spheres, with a piece of cardboard.
Avoid collisions of magnets as well as repeated mechanical exposure (e.g. blows, bashes).
Oxidation, corrosion, rust
Untreated neodymium magnets oxidise quickly and disintegrate.
Most of our magnets have a nickel-copper-nickel coating to protect them from corrosion. This coating provides some protection against corrosion, but it is not robust enough for continuous outdoor use.
Use magnets only in the dry indoors or protect them against environmental influences.
Avoid damages to the coating.
Neodymium magnets have a maximum working temperature of 80 to 200°C.
Most neodymium magnets lose part of their adhesive force permanently at a temperature of 80°C.
Don’t use magnets in places where they are exposed to extreme heat.
If you use an adhesive, don’t harden it with hot air.
Neodymium magnets are brittle, heat-sensitive and oxidise easily.
When drilling or sawing a magnet with improper tools, the magnet may break.
The emerging heat may demagnetise the magnet.
The magnet will oxidise and disintegrate due to the damaged coating.
Avoid machining magnets if you do not have the necessary machines and experience. Let us provide you with an offer for a custom-made order instead.